The teenage years are tough for many of us. We felt that no on understood who we are. Still, we all managed to survive.
For Blessing, the main character of Christie Watson’s Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away, growing up as a teen in Nigeria is an entirely different experience from most of us. Her life was filled with violence and poverty, yet she managed to find moments of happiness. She found herself.
Though From Left to Write members did not grow up in Nigeria, they found common themes with Blessing and her family.
- Jacki from The Raven’s Spell appreciates life’s luxuries.
- Tiffany at Lattes and Life wants everyone to be safe.
- Alma Klein of Marketing Mommy recalls a mixed blessing.
- Rachee from Say it Rah-shay gives her mom a proper thank you.
- Carrie at Making Lemonade baked a cake with seven eggs.
- Lisa from Grandma’s Briefs
- Thien-Kim of I’m Not the Nanny never meant to marry a black man.
- Taylor U. at The Quiet Moments, Page 2 remembers the most important thing.
- Robin Elton from simple.green.organic.happy. is reminded of her mother.
- Bay of Queen Mother Blog views life through a young girl’s eyes.
- Lisa at Hannemaniacs recalls the business of birth.
- Brandi from Mama Knows It All held tight to her yearbook.
- Karen Sweitzer of A Magical Mommy shares divorce’s devastating wake.
- Melissa at Life with Sophia shares the best stories for her daughter.
- Emily from Mama Sick is a storyteller, just like her grandmother.
- Michelle of Honest & Truly! doesn’t take things for granted.
- Melanie at tales from the crib realizes problems just won’t go away
- Brenda Bartella Peterson remembers Grandma.
- Elaine from Connor and Helen Grow Up discusses the right tools for birth.
What were your teenage years like? How does your teenage dreams compare to today?