How does a 5-year-old think? What would it be like to never be allowed to leave one room? How deep is a mother’s love for her child? Read the stories the From Left to Write bloggers are sharing today, inspired by book ROOM by Emma Donoghue.
Also, From Left to Write is giving away one copy of ROOM to a lucky reader. Read the giveaway details below to enter.
- Pamela Gold from 2 Much Testosterone perceives things that go bump in the night
- Jacki from The Raven’s Spell thinks about life through a child’s eyes
- Sarah from The Travel Mommy is haunted by the beeps
- Gayle from Everyday I Write the Book says this one takes the cake
- Jen Bush from Anybody Want A Peanut? discusses baby connections in utero
- Michelle from Honest & Truly! advises that it’s not what you have, it’s how you play
- Elena S. from C.Mom says life is beautiful…or so we say
- Linsey Krolik from Me Too You has a window
- Michelle from Wife and Mommy imagines running away to The Middle of Nowhere
- Meghan from Meghan’s Mindless Mutterings thinks she might have lost her mind a time or two
- Elaine from Connor and Helen Grow Up discusses watching zoo animal babies
- Sandie from Urban Mama ponders motherhood in survival mode
- Sharon from Channeling Ricky provides some history on kidnap victims
- Robin from MyLifeAsItIs thinks her rough days aren’t that rough
- Brandi from Mama Knows It All is inspired by what mamas do
- Lisa Hanneman from Hannemaniacs asks did a book change her weekend and make her a better mom?
- Cindy Fey from We All Fall Down discusses well-intentioned adult’s attempts to keep kids “safe”
- Helen P from I Want a Book Deal has room for improvement
- Nicole from Not Just a Working Mom considers homeschooling
- Meghan from Meg’s Idle Chatter is reminded of the kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard
- Neena from hooey!critic examines a mother’s love
- Nikki from Suddenly Single Journey considers the evolving room
- Marianne from Writer-Mommy wonders about nouns and verbs
- Melissa B from Life With Sophia invites us to share our homemade toys, games and stories invented from necessity
- Meg from Fox and Bunny and Woodpecker Stew got out of her comfort zone
- Bay from Queen Mother Blog enjoys some mother-child quality time
- April McCaffery from It’s All About Balance talks about our glass houses
About the book:
To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it’s where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it’s not enough…not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son’s bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.
Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.
Visit Emma Donoghue’s website.
Fan Emma Donoghue on Facebook.
Pre-order your copy of ROOM by Emma Donoghue (the book will be released September 13).
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
To enter to win a copy of ROOM by Emma Donoghue, please comment on the post below.
-Only one comment/entry per person.
-A Valid email address must be entered in the private “email” section of the comment (not in the comment text). If a valid email address is not provided, another winner will be chosen.
-Winner must be located in North America (Canada/US). Shipments can only be made to Canada/US.
-From Left to Write is not responsible for any lost packages or incorrect shipping addresses. The prize is not redeemable in cash and must be accepted as awarded. Approximate value of the prize may vary.
-Winner will be chosen via Random.org on Thursday Sept 30th by 12pmPST.
Disclosure: From Left to Write did not receive compensation in any form for this post. The From Left to Write Book Club blogger members did receive copies of ROOM for review.