Today is book club discussion day for our latest read, Ruby by Cynthia Bond. At its heart, the novel is a story about love, friendship, and inner demons. The novel’s title character Ruby has had a rough life strife with inner demons. Ephraim, a childhood friend, wants to help her become whole again. If she’ll let him.
From Left to Write members have share some thought discussion about Ruby over on their blogs. Take a look:
- Laura from the gluten-free treadmill talks about how fear of appearing imperfect contributed to an eating disorder.
- Alicia S of Titere con Bonete wonders if she should recommend a book that might be disturbing for others.
- Janaki at More Than Four Sides reflects on mental illness and the perception of Evil in the World.
- Kelly from Cupcake Kelly’s talks about how her husband overcame the hand he was dealt, but also how that hand has affected our lives.
- Ashley Bunker of Ashley, Unabashed talks about challenges of love.
- Briana at SheDevs discusses how people hide their stories behind smiles.
- Melanie of tales from the crib realizes most people are not the same as her.
- Karen from Time Crafted found new meaning in an old phrase through Bond’s way with words.
- Thien-Kim at I’m Not the Nanny shares how she talks about race with her biracial children
Reading it with your book club? Here are some reading group questions for Ruby.