Today we’re diving into the world of baseball with St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny. His new book The Matheny Manifesto: A Young Manager’s Old-School Views on Success in Sports and Life (Crown Archetype) calls for a return to the old school, tough love philosophy in children’s team sports.
The book definitely struck a nerve with From Left to Write book club members. Many of us are parents and some of us played team sports as kids. Head over to our members’ blogs to read their take on The Matheny Manifesto:
- Elaine from Connor and Helen Grow Up takes photos of her children’s games, in order to help herself keep quiet!
- Betsy of The Everyday Warrior explores ways to become a mentally tough runner.
- Alicia S at Titere con Bonete feels all coaches should have to read this book.
- Laura from the gluten-free treadmill thinks about her path to teaching.
- Kelly of Cupcake Kelly’s writes about how parents are ruining youth sports.
- Jane T. discusses whether tough-love should apply in college at Live Like It’s Shark Week.
- Jenn from Momma on the Rocks recounts a story about a music competition and a flower girl dress.
- Zen Mama Wannabe shares the secret to Little League baseball.
- Kita Bryant at Kokoa Magazine talks about staying in your own lane.
- Julie of A Good Joe was a little skeptical at first.
- Kendra from Headband for Today is reminded the values she wants to share on the sports field and in life.
- Emily Stephens at Nap Time is My Time asks you to think hard about the coaches in your children’s life.
- Melanie of tales from the crib considers her family’s mission when it comes to sports
- Ally at NorthSideFour looks at trying out for the school play, and hopes that they all get it right.
- NJ from A Cookie Before Dinner wonders about vintages values for her modern family.
- Cristie of Reinvention Girl has an epiphany about her endless chatter on the sidelines at her kids games.
- Meghan at Crazy Casa K can only hope she can be the sport supporting parent her own father was.
Did you or your kids play team sports?
Grab your copy of The Matheny Manifesto and join in on the conversation!