Today is our book club discussion of Bittersweet a novel by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore. While the main themes of the novel are coming-of-age and family secrets, there’s many different layers to the story.
From Left to Write members dug into the different layers of Bittersweet for today’s discussion. Head to their blogs to read more:
- Jodi from jodifur discusses her roommate from freshman year of college.
- Val of Children Of The Old School shares some lessons her younger brother taught her.
- Laura at the gluten-free treadmill thinks about the importance of fitting in.
- Alicia S from Titere con Bonete remembers how her parents gave her wings!
- Tasha of Frozen OJ loves her special needs little sister.
- Lisa at Hannemaniacs can’t find enough time to schedule her son’s low-key summer.
- Janaki from More Than Four Sides is reminded of spending Thanksgiving with her first husband’s large, enthusiastic family.
- Sam of Better With Sprinkles recalls how her roommate experience didn’t turn out the way she expected it to.
- Nancy at The Real Nani has a family mystery of her own!
- Jessica of Aim High Writing discusses how and why we reinvent ourselves in college.
- Shannon from Shannon Morgan Creative reflects on her experience at a women’s college.
- Eunice at Random Mommy shares her appreciation for family.
- Michelle of Honest & Truly! learned a hard lesson in college about drinking.
- Meghan from Crazy Casa K contemplates her upcoming move to the strange world of New England.
- Karen at Time Crafted is getting ready for some summer fun.
- Kelly of Cupcake Kelly’s talks about leaving her hometown.
- Amy from Oh What a Life is reminded of coming home to see college roommate for the first time.
- Julia at All About The Pretty finds it’s hard to be really real on social media.
- Jane T. of live like it’s shark week discusses how summer camp affected her life.
- Robin from The Not-Ever-Still-Life imagines her kids leaving one day.
- Ally at NorthSideFour weeps at losing a good friend.
- Colleen Bohensky of A Madison Mom reminisces about her first college roommate.
- Emily from the Polished Bookworm contemplates the secrets we keep.
- Monica at Blueprint Style explored the concept of “losing yourself”
If you haven’t grabbed your copy of Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore yet, I recommend it. It will probably be the hot read this summer!. Learn more about the author by visiting Miranda Beverly-Whittemore’s site and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.