While chickens are becoming more common in backyards, they’re usually hens. In Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man (Broadway), Brian McGrory moved into a home with a backyard rooster. Who didn’t like him. While his new human family were excited to have him in their home, McGrory had to win over the rooster.
Today From Left to Write members discuss Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man. Head over to their blogs to see their essays inspired by McGrory’s memoir:
- Carrie of poet in the pantry reflects upon her relationship with her dog and last year’s health scare.
- Jessica from Aim High Writing is taught the value of pets by a cat named George.
- A cat saved the marriage of Rebecca Life of an Army Wife
- Davida from The Healthy Maven reflects on the lessons her dog taught her while growing up.
- Jessica Claire of Crunchy-Chewy Mama dreams on the many lives she could lead.
- Martha at Running Into 30 misses the very first dog she ever really cared about.
- Meghan from Crazy Casa K reluctantly answered an ad for a “happy, friendly rooster.”
- Melanie RG at The Seeds of 3 asks if you are a city person or a country person at heart.
- Melissa of Life with Sophia says goodbye to the furriest member of her family.
- Briana at My Own Shero discusses how her Pomeranian became grandma’s BFF.
- Michelle from Honest & Truly! has always been a cat person. Her daughter? Not so much.
- Elaine at Connor and Helen Grow Up tries to adopt some of pet owners’ ways of looking at life.
- melanie of tales from the crib remembers a good family friend
- Ally from NorthSideFour laments her husband’s inability to love a dog.
Jennifer Wolfe at mamawolfe reminisces about finding her own first ‘buddy’.
- Robin (noteverstill) of The Not Ever Still Life can’t recognize all the birds outside her window.
- Why Thien-Kim from I’m Not the Nanny didn’t want a chicken as a pet.
- Ashley Bunker at Memoirs of a Modern Day Wife discusses how she feels animals are a family’s therapy.
- Amy from Occupation: Mommy remembers her childhood dog.
Do you have family pet? Or pets?